Tokyo 2020 have claimed key partners must be "more united than ever" as scenarios for a possible postponement of the Olympic Games are considered over the next four weeks.
A statement from the Tokyo 2020 Executive Board followed the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announcement yesterday, which said a final verdict on Tokyo 2020 will be reached within a month amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
This was the first acknowledgement of a potential postponement, which now seems the most likely scenario.
IOC and Tokyo 2020 officials will use the four-week window to study different options regarding a postponement of the Games.
The Tokyo 2020 Executive Board have repeated the IOC position that a complete cancellation is "not on the agenda".
They acknowledged that athletes and National Olympic Committees preparing for the Games had been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic, describing the "unprecedented situation" of being of "great concern".
Organisers also repeated the IOC statement that the "extreme complexity" of the Games meant the four weeks was needed to reach a decision.
"Our thoughts are with all those affected by this crisis, and we will continue to prioritise the safety of athletes, spectators and all other Games participants," Tokyo 2020 said.
"As we closely monitor infection trends, we will dedicate ourselves to examining detailed plans for different scenarios, including opening the Games on 24 July, in accordance with the agreement reached yesterday with the IOC.
"We will continue to work closely with all relevant organisations in order to meet the expectations of the athletes who have been training day and night and the fans who have been looking forward to the Games for so long.
"As we seek to address this unique situation, close coordination with many partners, including the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, the Government of Japan, Tokyo 2020 marketing partners, broadcasters, suppliers and contractors, will be essential.
"We must be more united than ever in our response.
"Regardless, what is important now is that the world comes together to overcome this crisis.
"As [IOC] President [Thomas] Bach stated, we wish that 'the Olympic flame will be a light at the end of this tunnel'.
"We will therefore exert every possible effort to overcome this challenge and deliver the Games."
Both Australia and Canada have confirmed they will not attend the Olympics should they remain scheduled to begin on July 24.
United States, Britain, New Zealand and The Netherlands are among other NOCs who have already addressed their athletes.
More than 335,000 coronavirus cases have been reported worldwide since the outbreak began, with more than 14,500 deaths confirmed.