Hollie Arnold, Britain’s Rio 2016 Paralympic javelin champion, says she wants her appearance in reality television show I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! - which is due to start on on ITV on Sunday (November 15) – to put the focus on achievement rather than disability.
The 26-year-old from Grimsby, who currently holds the Paralympic, world, European and Commonwealth titles in the F46 javelin, as well as the world record, told the Daily Mirror: "I don’t want it to be about my disability.
"Yes, I have a missing arm and I am in the Paralympics but I want to show people nothing stops me and it shouldn’t stop anyone else either.
"I hope by going on the programme, it inspires people.
"I want people to look and see that I am scared but I am giving it a go."
Arnold, who was made a Member Of The Most Excellent Order Of The British Empire - MBE - for her services to field athletics in 2017, describes herself as an "underdog" in a group that also includes Britain’s multiple world and Olympic 5,000 and 10,000 metres champion Sir Mo Farah.
Arnold added: "As an athlete, you have to intake a lot more calories as you have to fuel yourself for training, and so it is going to be really hard to limit calories.
"I am not going to lie, I am probably going to be hangry Hollie but I will do my best to get myself and my team mates fed!"
Earlier this month, Sir Mo was warned that his appearance in the show could hinder his preparations for the postponed 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo due to take place next summer.
UK Athletics chief executive Jo Coates suggested Sir Mo’s appearance could take athletics to a different audience, but acknowledged there were potential risks for performance.
"Shows like that take our athletes to a completely different audience," she said.
"But I would never condone it to the detriment of performance because ultimately that's what they do."