British High Commissioner John Virgoe, left, and Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports Secretary Pengiran Mohd Amirrizal bin Pengiran Haji Mahmud hold the Baton before the Relay ©MCYS

The Queen’s Baton is now heading for Papua New Guinea after a visit to Brunei completed its passage through Asia.

Although grey skies and a heavy rain had accompanied the visit, it was carried to the sound of bagpipes.

The visit of the Baton coincided with the traditional celebrations of the birthdate of the celebrated Scottish poet Robert Burns, also known as the "Bard of Ayrshire", who lived more than two centuries ago. 

Soldiers wore tropical khaki uniforms as they ran in formation with the baton as lance corporal Simpson Rai played Scotland the Brave

It fell to Gurkha major Ramkumar to hand the Baton to lieutenant colonel Andrew Todd, commanding officer of British Forces Brunei.

The soldiers ran in two groups and captain Begindra Limbu put the seal on the visit.

There had been a downpour during the arrival of the Baton from 1998 Commonwealth Games host Malaysia.

It was formally passed on by Malaysian High Commissioner Dato' Raja Reza bin Raja Zaib Shah and received by Pengiran Mohammad Amirrizal bin Pengiran Haji Mahmud, permanent secretary at the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports (MCYS).

Batonbearers wore facemasks as a precaution against COVID-19 as they took part in the "Queen’s Baton Relay Walk and Breakfast".

This was organised by the Brunei Darussalam National Olympic Council in conjunction with the MCYS and the British High Commission.

"The QBR is travelling a remarkable 140,000 kilometres through Commonwealth countries and it is a privilege to be able to be part of the relay while it is here in Brunei Darussalam," British High Commissioner John Virgoe said.

"This collective journey will ignite hope, solidarity and collaboration as it connects communities, embraces unique cultures and shares inspirational stories."

The Baton was taken to the riverfront park at Taman Mahkota Jubli Emas.

Bearers also passed the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque, one of two national mosques, before the walk ended at the Dermaga Diraja jetty.

It was taken across the water to the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha Bridge and around the waterside village, in tribute to Brunei's national heritage.

Brunei was the 30th nation visited but there are still another 41 to go before the Baton returns to England on July 4th.