England topped Pool D at the FIH Men's World Cup with a win over Spain today ยฉGetty Images

England has ended Pool D in front of hosts India at the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Men's Hockey World Cup, beating Spain 4-0 at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.

Following a scoreless draw in their match, the final pool stage contests were must-wins for both countries if they wished to automatically qualify for the quarter-finals.

In the earlier of the two matches, England were in control against Spain as they kept their third clean sheet in a row at the World Cup.

Phil Roper opened the scoring after 11 minutes, with David Condon doubling the lead in the 22nd minute.

A barren third period was followed by two goals in two minutes from Nick Bandurak and Liam Ansell to give England a comfortable goal difference over India, who needed to win by at least seven against Wales in the late match.

India would win, but only by two goals with their match against Wales ending 4-2.

Shamsher Singh and Akashdeep Singh scored either side of half-time to give them a two-goal lead, but two penalty corners were scored right before the end of the third period.

Gareth Furlong and Jacob Draper contributed to bringing the match back to equal footing.

However, Akashdeep and captain Harmanpreet Singh put India back in front to secure the victory.

Despite already qualifying, The Netherlands did not take their foot off the gas, thrashing Chile 14-0 to set a new World Cup record for highest-scoring victory.

Four penalty corners were scored by Jip Janssen, while Thierry Brinkman scored a hat-trick to go to the top of the goal-scoring standings for the tournament with five.

Derck de Vilder and Thijs van Dam got on the scoresheet in the second period, with Terrance Pieters, Justen Blok and Teun Beins contributing in the second-half too.

Koen Bijen got a double late on to add to the scoreline.

The previous best result was a 12-0 victory for Australia over South Africa in 2010.

The other Pool C match saw Malaysia dramatically beat New Zealand 3-2 in a cross-over seeding decider.

Malaysia took an early lead thanks to Faizal bin Saari in the ninth minute, with a second goal coming after 43 minutes courtesy of Razie Rahim.

When the match looked finished, Hayden Phillips and Sam Lane scored to wipe the deficit in the 52nd and 53rd minutes.

Yet, Malaysia responded three minutes from time, with Saari scoring the winner to place his country second in the pool.