Two Indonesian football officials were found guilty of negligence for their roles in the Kanjuruhan Stadium disaster ©Getty Images

Two football officials have been jailed by an Indonesian court after being found guilty of negligence in relation to last year's Kanjuruhan Stadium disaster which killed 135 people.

Abdul Haris, chair of the Organising Committee for home club Arema FC, was sentenced to one-and-a-half years in prison and security officer Suko Sutrisno to one year.

Haris was found guilty of negligence and selling too many tickets for the match at the Surabaya State Court, although his prison sentence was significantly less than the six years and eight months sought by prosecutors.

Both have seven days to appeal the verdict.

These were the first jail sentences handed out by Indonesia's courts over the deadly crush.

Three police officers have also been charged with negligence and are awaiting verdicts, while the former director of a company running the Indonesian top tier of football is under police investigation having been named a suspect.

Police had used tear gas to disperse Arema fans who invaded the pitch after losing 3-2 to rivals Persebaya Surabaya in Malang in October.

Thousands of people surged towards the exits of the overcrowded stadium attempting to flee the tear gas.

Supporters were crushed attempting to flee tear gas fired by police at the Kanjuruhan Stadium ©Getty Images
Supporters were crushed attempting to flee tear gas fired by police at the Kanjuruhan Stadium ©Getty Images

Hundreds were injured in addition to the 135 people who died.

Match organisers and the Indonesian authorities were heavily criticised

A Government-sanctioned fact-finding team released a report in the aftermath of the incident which concluded "excessive" and "indiscriminate" use of tear gas was the main cause of death.

After meeting with FIFA President Gianni Infantino, Indonesia's President Joko Widodo ordered the demolition and rebuild of the Kanjuruhan Stadium.

Matches in Liga 1 were suspended for two months following the disaster.

International Olympic Committee member and Indonesia Minister for State-owned Enterprises Erick Thohir was elected as Football Association of Indonesia President last month, tasked with bringing "total reform".

He replaced Mochamad Iriawan, who had refused calls to stand down following the disaster.

Indonesia is due to host the men's FIFA Under-20 World Cup from May 20 to June 11 this year.