Scottie Scheffler has had his police charged dropped. GETTY IMAGES

Criminal charges against world number one golfer Scottie Scheffler have been dismissed. He was arrested earlier this month during the PGA Championship in the USA.

The American golfer was arrested by police officer Bryan Gillis outside Valhalla Golf Club on the morning of 17 May, just hours before his second round, after attempting to drive into the club amidst heavy traffic. Scheffler faced charges of second-degree assault of a police officer, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving, and disregarding traffic signals from an officer.

Jefferson County Attorney Mike O'Connell requested a judge to drop the charges today, stating that his team had reviewed the case in a "thorough and expeditious manner." 

During a hearing that lasted less than ten minutes, he stated: "Based upon the totality of the evidence, my office cannot move forward in the prosecution of the charges filed against Mr Scheffler. Mr Scheffler's characterisation that this was 'a big misunderstanding' is corroborated by the evidence."

Scheffler was not required to be present in the courtroom for the hearing, but he welcomed the decision in a post on his Instagram Story. "As I stated previously, this was an unfortunate misunderstanding," he said.

Golfer Scottie Scheffler has had all charges against him dropped. GETTY IMAGES
Golfer Scottie Scheffler has had all charges against him dropped. GETTY IMAGES

"I hold no ill will towards officer Gillis. I wish to put this incident behind me and move on, and I hope he will do the same. Police officers have a difficult job and I hold them in high regard. This was a severe miscommunication in a chaotic situation."

Scheffler's attorney, Steve Romines, stated that the 27-year-old would not be filing a civil lawsuit and preferred to focus on his golfing career. "We are pleased the case was dismissed today," Romines told reporters.

Play at the year's second major was delayed by 80 minutes due to a shuttle bus striking and killing a pedestrian, later identified as John Mills, outside the golf club. Scheffler, who was not involved in the accident, reportedly tried to avoid the scene before being stopped by Officer Gillis.

Scheffler was released and returned to the course in time for his second round. The American ultimately finished the tournament tied for eighth place.